- 2 tbs olive oil, plus extra to toss
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 2 x 410g cans crushed tomatoes
- 500g spaghetti
- 500g marinara mix*
- 300g black mussels, washed, de-bearded
- 2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
Add garlic and wine, and simmer 2 minutes. Add paste and crushed tomatoes, and simmer 15-20 minutes further, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened. Season well.
Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain and toss in a little olive oil.
Add marinara mix and mussels to tomato sauce, cover with lid and cook 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat, discarding any mussels that do not open.
Stir in parsley, then toss the sauce through the pasta and serve.
Notes & tips
* A mix of fresh seafood, from fish-mongers and good supermarkets.